Geoff,

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:45 -0400, Geoff wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I have added a menu item to the Environment which brings up a dialog
> with some data fields for the user to fill in.
>
> My question is: what do I do when the <property> field doesn't exist?
> How do I create a new one and where can I find out what ones are
> available.  (The README.properties is sadly lacking).

You can create new properties in a few different ways:
- You can declare a property in a model xml file.
- You can declare and define an initial value in the xml -set file for
  your aircraft (ship/car)
- You can declare, define and even keep them updated in the JSBSim
  flight dynamics xml file.
- You can declare, define and alter properties from nasal scripting.

This is a fragment from the c182rg-set.xml:
<controls>
 <gear>
   <gear-handle-down type="int">1</gear-handle-down>
 </gear>
</controls>

It declares a integer property called /controls/gear/gear-handle-down
and defines the initial value to be "1"

This is a fragment from the kap140.nas autopilot script:

var locks = "/autopilot/KAP140/locks";
(...)
# locks
var propLocks = props.globals.getNode(locks, 1);

var lockAltHold   = propLocks.getNode("alt-hold", 1);

The "1" argument to .getNode() causes it to create the property if it
doesn't exist.

> On a similar theme - so I don't have to keep asking such simple
> questions, is there a central (or not) area where developer how-tos or
> explanations of the way things work is located?

There's the wiki, can't say how good it is...  I learned before it was
written, and while I know it exists I rarely look at it...
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Portal:Developer

Ron