On lundi 29 septembre 2008, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> gerard robin wrote:

sorry,  my language is not good  ( out from the hospital, i need some
rest :) , same problem in French :( )

> > To me (and today) there is only one way to get the best nice effects
> > (more realistic):
> > =>  it is to use the OSG script,  but if it will be fully translated to
> > XML
> > (which could give some "heavy" coding).
>
> If you could describe what is missing in your opinion, we could perhaps at
> least put it on the TODO list. Don't think the coding would be too heavy.

I had tried to get the  effect  that i get with the Catalina wakes OSG,
without any success.
When testing the xml scripts, i never got the same result ( may be i am
wrong), the result was very poor.

The content of the OSG scripts (when reading it)  shows that there is an
animation into an other animation, and a processing of shape  colors and
transparencies which avoid any texture ( the texture looks to be  created
randomly).

We can notice that,  these OSG  examples  are a very low level examples ( even
they are better than my  XML translation)
With it we can have an higher complexity ( i am working on it) and i hope to
get better and better effects, without any limitations, but the know how
the "writer" and the power of the CPU.

So, i concluded that only OSG script is able to answer the requested
complexity.

> > So up to now, because OSG opened a wide door to many features, i guess
> > that we
> > must not reduce the size of that door :)
> >
> > Again, i agree with the common usage  of it,  like trailing smoke, or
> > some dust on the wheel when touching the ground, however we can do more
> > than we did with PLIB.
>
> I haven't found an effect I couldn't do yet, but perhaps you have? Let us
> know and we will look into it.

You are right, if we only want the basic ones, which answer  today to most of
the "generic" requests, in addition to it, we still have Plib which answer
too ( the Catalina water bomber use it, i don't need to translate it in OSG)

However with OSG we can do more and better, the wake effects , the fire
effect, exploding effect are other specific cases  which wants more
complexity.

> Vivian

Cheers

--
Gérard
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/

"J'ai décidé d'être heureux parce que c'est bon pour la santé.
Voltaire "