On 3 Oct 2008, at 15:14, Matthew Tippett wrote:

> Are there any short term targets that will show benefit?

That's a question best answered by profiling and measurement, since
people are notoriously bad at guessing such things.

The 'Nasal on a helper thread' thing may be possible in the short
term, if someone wanted to look at it, but whether or not Nasal is
using a noticeable amount of CPU is highly debatable, and depends a
lot on the particular aircraft / models you test with, I expect.
Again, profiling and concrete numbers are needed before doing
potentially intrusive changes for performance's sake.

In general, FG has quite a few data dependencies internally which make
multi-threading challenging right now - there's groundwork to make the
data-dependencies more explicit (i.e, via the property tree) that has
to happen before pieces can easily move to other threads.

Ensuring that as much rendering work happens on other threads (OSG can
be very aggressive about this) is a likely area of investigation, but
one I'll leave to Tim. In theory OSG can be doing DB paging, model and
texture loading, updates and culls on worker threads, and the actual
drawing on another. I have no notion how much of that is happening
with the current code. My guess would be that pieces ported from PLIB/
SSG may not be playing 'nice' with the aggressive OSG pipe-lining, but
equally, updating those pieces of code to be more OSG friendly isn't a
quick hack either.

James