-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] CVS Snapshot for publicity?
From: Curtis Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FlightGear developers discussions
<flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: 29/09/08 11:34 PM

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Matthew Tippett wrote:
>

> Hi Matthew,
>
> I made an unofficial snapshot a couple weeks ago that ended up on two
> ATC flight simulators (ATC is the company name, not the function) at a
> school on Long Island.  It's not too hard to make a source snapshot if I
> don't worry too much about release notes, change logs, binary builds,
> etc.  I've been wanting to move towards some sort of regular developer
> snapshots, but I've had too many things on my plate.

The great things about regular snapshots is that you don't need to
always do release notes.  Just pull in the CVS changelog and call it
done :).   As long as the guides for dependencies are good, that is
great for a snapshot.

Where are these snapshots stored?  I don't recall any links on them.

Mind you, there are also clear benefits for a 1.8/1.9 formal release as
well. :).

> BTW, really neat stuff with the 8 monitor demo!

No problems, stay tuned for a 12 or 16 monitor demo over the next month
or two :).  (On one system too).

> If I had to nitpick,

Please do, this is constructive criticism.

> I'd suggest that (at least from the video) it appeared that not every
> display was identical in size?

Yes, that is correct.  Getting 100% similar monitors isn't that easy the
12 display setup should make it a bit nicer.

> Also, with Tim's most recent CVS
> changes, it's possible to adjust the view parameters for each monitor to
> account for the gap between monitors (i.e. so it doesn't look like you
> sliced up an image into 8 pieces and then spread them apart.)

(I am hoping that there is a Wiki or similar for camera setup :).  A
sample aircraft or test pattern or similar would be a great way to allow
people to see what values are needed fine tune.

> And if I
> was getting really nitpicky, I suggest that it might be fun to go
> blasting up some valleys in the mountains east of seattle somewhere,
> although flying around SFO isn't a bad choice either ... perhaps some
> dusk/dawn flying would have been fun too ...  (But I do realize there is
> only so much you can show in a couple minute demo.)

The flight data was pre-recorded.  Look at
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Presentation_Recipe for more
information.  If someone is willing to pre-record a "standard" flight
that would be shipped with flightgear data, that would be ideal.
Record your favoured flight path - it looks like the external fdm data
actually handles jumping around locations too, so choose where you want
to go :).

To really make flightgear accessible and engaging to the masses there
are two *absolutely* critical items.

        1) A pre-recorded demo that ships with flightgear that gives a guided
tour of what is best with flightgear.  This will require improved
visuals over the flightpath.
        2) Absolutely engaging eyecandy in the default startup location.  I
know there are some amazing visuals in other parts of the world, but
when you start fgfs, you end up in KSFO, which is somewhat boring.  If
this means moving the initial location to a better location, IMHO fgfs
would be better for it.  No tweaks, no extra packs, just blow people
away with what comes up on by default.

If you have a look at "celstia" under Linux
(http://www.shatters.net/celestia/), the startup mode is a guided tour
of the solar system, allowing you to break out at any time and look
around.  This is *absolutely* great for people to go "holy-cr*p, this is
amazing", and then go and try doing that.

Regards,

Matthew