Hi all,

my name is Pep Ribal. I belong to the Software Development department of the
IVAO network. Some of you might remember me, as I was involved in a project
regarding IVAO-FlightGear interconnection time ago.

That specific project was discontinued, but we at IVAO have not forgotten
about the idea of making FlightGear drop in the network in a future. We
think this is a good moment to give it a serious try, though changing the
approach, i.e., not via a separate application.

It would be really positive either for the FG community as well as for the
IVAO community. FG would benefit from the "real life" human controllers, as
well as the big amount of virtual pilots available at the same time, sharing
a common airspace between pilots running either FG or other simulators. And
IVAO would become the first flight sim network that would accept FlightGear
simmers, which in our opinion would be a huge plus for the network.

I'd like to ask you developers what do you think it would be the best way to
proceed, and what help could we expect from you. The situation is as
follows:

We are not willing to publish our server protocol. That means that a
possible module for connecting FG to the servers shouldn't be open source.

We have developed a shared library called the INL (IVAO Network Library),
freely available at no charge (IVAO freeware), but not open source, that
would encapsulate all accesses to our servers. A potential FG module for
connecting to the IVAO servers should link and use this library.

What I would like is to know what do you think it can be done technically,
what license problems could arise, and see if there's any of you willing to
help in the possible development of such a software module.

Once I had a clear idea of the best way to proceed, I would hand the project
to IVAO for approval. We would provide you developers with the INL binaries,
and all necessary documentation and other files. Any suggestion is really
welcome.

Hope something can be done. Thanks to all.

Pep.