The way IVAO has worked so far, as Curt says, is completely plugin
based, in regard of flight simulators, due to the fact that the
simulators that log in are not open source (let's change that!). In
the case of FG, where FG itself is open source, and the MP server is
too, there are two approaches, as Matthew pointed out:

One would be FlightGear acting as a IVAO client and connecting
directly to IVAO FSD servers. Honestly it was my first though.
However, that would be a bit difficult both for FG and IVAO. The other
approach, bridging both networks seems to me now better. However, I
leave it to you guys to decide which of the two you prefer, though I
assume you go for the second one.

In case of the second one, we at IVAO could set up a MP server (or
more), connected itself to the IVAO FSD servers. And here, as Martin
says, starts the religious war. As I understand, a server-server
protocol should be implemented. The authentication stuff, moreover,
perhaps will demand a few changes to MP? Once we start agreeing, there
will be more things like these to address, I assume.

If you confirm this is the way you wish to proceed, please tell me.
I'll report to my IVAO "bosses" and see what they decide.

Cheers!