Tatsuhiro Nishioka wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>From Mac OS side, there seems no problem in using headers of any
> version of Boost as long as FlightGear works fine. I'll just grab it
> and build FG with boost headers. No difficulties. However, if we're
> going to use boost libraries before the next official release, I need
> to make sure the binary works on at least some Macs, including
> ppc/intel and OS X 10.4/10.5. Probably it needs some weeks to collect
> feedbacks.
I've just checked a change to configure.ac that checks for a minimum version of
Boost, looks for it in all the right places, properly supports --with-boost,
etc. I know that you don't use configure for the Mac builds, but this should
ease the vast majority of problems for Linux users.

> So I want to hear Tim's (and others') opinion about:
> (1) what are the pros in using Boost especially in FlightGear.
> If that doesn't give us any improvement in quality (like
> maintainability, testability, usability, response, performance or
> whatever you name it) or functionality in a clear way, we can live
> without it, at least until the next official release (or until the
> next release branch is made).

I've stated this before, a couple of different times. It provides many
advantages in terms of convenience and cross-platform compatibility. In terms
of
maintainability and testing, I consider it a great advantage to leave those
things to a much larger community where possible. The use of Boost in the
currently checked-in sources is completely gratuitous, but in the future it
will
not be. I think it's a reasonable first step, and is certainly shaking out
problems :)
> (2) Are we going to use boost libraries in the near future?
> Hope not until the next release.
Certainly not until after the release. If a library (as opposed to a header
file) is useful, we should use it and solve the build issues.

> Again, I am not against using Boost at all. I just want to know how it
> effects or affects FlightGear from developers' and users' viewpoints.
> If it is determined to use boost, I'll do my best to keep up with
> these things.
If you look in the mail archives, I have stated before why I think it's a good
idea.

> Plus, I ain't retrospective. PLIB era also got me a lot of troubles.
> Do you remember that 0.9.10 on Mac OS X released several months after
> Windows/Linux had released? 0.9.10 often crashed if ATC is on. Now I
> can make FlightGear/OSG with less problem, and it works with less
> crashes. So I don't think FlightGear/CVS-HEAD + OSG is not that
> stable. I admit that we are still catching up with PLIB in some
> functions like shadows and FG + OSG requires longer build time, it
> often crash and I got some crash reports, but so what? OSG + FG give
> us much more functions like multiple views, particles, and lots more.
>
> Best,
>
> Tat

Tim