James Turner wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2008, at 22:23, gerard robin wrote:
>
> > For instance, yes, the Stampe is easy to fly but not realistic
> > regarding  the FDM.
> > Don't forget  we don't make a Game.

I think the Stampe has fairly good FDM. From my limited experience,
it flies as described here:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepStampe.html

I am quite aware that we do not make a game. I've actually used
FG for some cross-country flight planning in real life
- it was useful to be able to visualize the terrain prior to flying it.

> But equally, the C172, and the 777 handle 'predictably'. Giving new
> users aircraft which they might *want* to fly, but which are difficult
> to fly (without, for example, reading a tutorial) are not the best
> choice for the base package. Concorde and the P51-d are both in this
> category I think - they have excellent, well-developed and complete
> models, but neither are a great choice for a new user to pick up and
> get into the air with. They will produce lots of 'I tried FG, but all
> I do is crash and crash and crash' feedback. Unlike other sims we have
> no 'easy' mode in terms of FDM realism to solve this. (And look at all
> the P-factor feedback even in the C172)

Exactly my thoughts.

The Concorde may have changed since I last tried it, but as I recall, it
starts with quite limited fuel. This is appropriate for a landing, but means
that it runs out after about 15 minutes on full throttle/afterburner. A new
user is likely to load the Concorde from the launcher, take off on full
throttle,
fly around of 10 minutes annd then run out of fuel without realizing it and
crash. They won't have read the README file, noticed the Flight Engineer
view, or understood the fuel dials, fuel transfer system, advanced autopilot
etc.

Flying the Concorde well requires a lot of study and effort. A completely
new user of FG needs to be offered a set of aircraft that they can have a
positive experience flying. Once we've got them hooked, they will then be
prepared to put the time into flying the challenging planes like the Concorde.

-Stuart