On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Martin Spott wrote:

>  - With a 'properly' (TM) inflated front wheel damper, the C172 has the
>   tendency of having its tail surprisingly low when standing on the
>   ground at a common configuration: Max fuel capacity, one pilot (of
>   approx. 80 kg) and some utilities in the baggage compartment (a can
>   of oil and such). This one has approx. 50% fuel, no pilot/passenger
>   and just light baggage (additional to the 'utilities'):
>     http://foxtrot.mgras.net/bitmap/EDDI/imm021.jpg
>
>  - On a slow approach in a real C172 the tail also gets _very_ low
>   above the ground. When watching students flying traffic circuits I
>   noticed several of them getting close to a tail strike - the tiedown
>   ears at a C172's tail sometimes feature noticeable scratches.
>
>  - Just 10 kts of difference in airspeed (95 vs. 105) have a
>   significant effect on the pitch (to my experience much more than
>   with the DR400 for example), therefore telling from a single video
>   sequence without further information might be misleading.

I have some data from a real C172 (again noting that individual aircraft can
differ quite a bit depending on weight, balance, and a variety of other
factors.)

level flight, 90 kts, flaps up ... pitch angle is between 0 and 1 degree.
level flight, 60 kts, flaps 10 degrees ... pitch angle is about 6 degrees.
level flight, 65 kts, flaps 30 degrees ... pitch angle is about -1 degree.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/