> All these crews are lucky, if you want to call it that.
> They're lucky because there's a lot of crashworthiness
> and even ditchworthiness built into the airframe, and
> because the crews train like crazy, far in excess of
> the already-strict FAA requirements.

Yes, the entire flight crew was well-trained, and we all ought to listen to
them carefully at the beginning of each flight.

With that said, I'd be careful about claiming "ditchworthiness". Sure, there
was the reported ditch switch present in the Airbus aircraft, but according
to the reports I read this morning, the underside of the fuselage was
"shredded". Whether that's an exaggeration or not, chances are the ditch
switch (if it had been activated, which it reportedly was not) would have
had no effect whatsoever given the much bigger holes that apparently opened
up.

An aircraft is not at all well-suited for ditching and given the appendages
that can easily impart all sorts of moments (leading to tumbling and ensuing
disintegration), the use of the word "miraculous" to describe a successful
ditching is not inappropriate in the least. The flight crew obviously is
very skilled, but I've also read reports that water ditching is not
something pilots train for in the simulator. There probably ought to be more
research and study done on water landings.

Note that the 787 should not have the problem with shredding of fuselage
skin. It's made of the same materials that boat hulls are (roughly speaking)
;-)  Regardless, Airbus has got to be happy that their plane did so well in
this accident, given the circumstances.

JB