* Jon S. Berndt -- Thursday 22 January 2009:
> >   Bingo737

> Boing 314?

That wouldn't work. It's too similar, as probably any court
will find.

> Actually, David Slocombe had a good suggestion earlier. I'll
> formulate a letter to the Software Freedom Law Center and ask
> them for guidance.

The problem isn't even so much complying with laws in multiple
countries, but avoiding to get sued. Unfortunately, these are
entirely different things. If that center says we are right,
and Boeing says we are not, then what?! Is anyone willing
to spend the money/time/nerves for a lawsuit, even if we
are confident to be on the right side? I think you made
a tactical mistake by writing in your letter "none of our
aircraft models are sold". Not only because it's wrong, but
also because this raised their expectations. They might have
agreed with a distribution under the GPL otherwise.

But then again, I would not proactively avoid the trademark
Eurocopter or MBB in the bo105. It's plausible that I act
in good faith. I model an Eurocopter Bo105, after all, which
is perfectly legal. So calling it that, too, seems rather
obvious. It's like making a photo of a bo105 and labeling it
"Eurocopter Bo105" and distributing that.

IANAL
m.