On Monday 03 Aug 2009, Curtis Olson wrote:
> I'll toss in a couple thoughts.  Running on 4 processors
> (quad-core AMD 64 bit machine) and 4 dual-head nvidia cards we
> split the render task up into a bunch of subthreads.  The overall
> CPU load was pretty balanced and each CPU ran at about 40-60%
> utilization.

That's interesting.  Could you elaborate on that a little more i.e.
did you split a single scene into 'render boxes' or were you, in
effect, running four discrete but 'collaborative' instances, each
just looking in a different direction?

> I don't know all the solid conclusions we can derive from this,
> but it seems to me that until we have a single CPU that is fully
> saturated, adding cores and adding threads will not buy us
> anything in terms of end-to-end performance.  Drawing the scene
> still is (and always has been) our main bottleneck by far.

What proportion of the drawing task is occupied with assembling the
scene objects, compared with passing the assembled data to the
video card for display?  (I'm just wondering about the scope for
box-rendering here)

One of the big problems I had with FG was its pseudo asynchronous
operation, which still meant that the rates at which you could run
things like the FDM, autopilot and Nasal were effectively limited
by the frame rate and which could lead to an aircraft being stable
on one system but unstable on another.  I would really like to see
these subsystems running on their own cores, or even more
preferably, on their own networked hardware, so that I could run
them at much higher and guaranteed rates.

I think the bottom line is that FG is simply going to have to face
up to this issue at some point.  A few people here have been
bringing this topic up for a few years and now that multicore
processors are the norm it's clear that the issue isn't going to go
away.  Like it or not, and I mean no offence or criticism by this,
the current FG architecture is now obsolete.  While single core and
single processor systems were the norm it was fine - the software
design was well fitted to the systems on which it ran - but
parallel processing has always been the way things were going to
go.  It has been inevitable ever since super-computer designers
realised that the only way that ever increasing performance could
be achieved was by parallelism and now it's well and truly on the
desktop.

Of course, it's not going to be easy, but denying it won't make the
issue go away.

Tied in with this, I think, is that FG is still very much a
developer-led project, so the developers, by and large, only work
on things that interest them.  However, the FG user base is
constantly growing, and will continue to grow, and at some point FG
will have to become user-led if it is to become more than just a
stage for its developers to perform upon.  FG will, if it has not
already, reach the point where it is bigger than its developers and
the project should dictate what the developers do, rather than the
other way around.

I think its a sad fact of reality but I think that FG has reached
the point where FG development needs to be actively managed and
directed, and not just left to the whims and desires of its
developers.

Like I said, I mean no criticism of the developers by this; they
have achieved an immense amount by getting FG to this point, but in
getting FG this far they've made FG into a bigger thing that needs
handling differently if it isn't going to stagnate and be left
behind.

LeeE