On 11 Sep 2009, at 14:48, dave perry wrote:

> I have not flown the patch yet.  In this patch, does the region of
> reliable signal satisfy Figure 1-1-6 on page 503 of the 2008 AIM?
> That
> figure shows valid signals for two over lapped archs.  Arch 1: +\-35
> deg
> out to 10 nm.  Arch 2: +\- 10 deg out to 18 nm.  In real IFR flying,
> you
> are always looking for two events as you are intercepting the LOC.
> #1:
> the needle to "come live" with a valid morris code for the LOC, and #2
> the needle to break away from the case (i.e.un-peg).  #1 occurs well
> before #2 and relates to the AIM figure 1-1-6.  #2 relates to the beam
> width.  It would be great to have both well modelled.

The patches I'm adapting at the moment deal with #2 (and improve the
accuracy there considerably).

#1, and more generally modelling the reception volumes for LOC/GS, is
a separate issue. At the moment, if you're tuned to a valid LOC
frequency, and within range, I believe you will get the ident
(including the more signal, depending on the specific aircraft's audio
configuration) on any heading to the navaid (i.e 360 degree coverage).
Clearly this needs to be improved, but it's a separate piece of work,
and I greatly prefer to serialise these changes.

Also, modelling radio reception is an area I know nothing about, so
improvements in this area need someone to propose a model (and code!)
that is consistent with the standards, but also with real-world
behaviour, and hopefully of bearable complexity. The VOR/NDB/DME
reception model is also quite crude, ideally someone with expertise
(and a love of physics) would look into this whole area.

(I worry that any 'accurate' model will be of fearful complexity,
especially if it's physically based - clearly we can do line-of-sight
checks from the aircraft to the navid, but I don't know how much
beyond that might be necessary. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing -
until someone proposes some code, it's academic)

Regards,
James