Hi Erik,

 >> Did you know that the sound system eats up to 30% of CPU time,
depending
 >> on hardware? This even with --disable-sound on the command line.
 >
 > That's OpenAL version specific. Mine is twice as fast with 256 voices
 > but 3.5 times more efficient with less than 32 voices.

Ooops, I have to admit that I am a OpenAL newbie. Do I have to use a
different set of shared libs? Are these soundcard/codec specfic? Where
should I get alternative implementations from? I thought there are only
specific implementations for high-end hardware.

My findings are that 30% of total fgfs CPU time on the eee was spend in
in routines resampling audio, regardless if --disable-sound was set or
not. (Later I found out that --disable-sound does not disable the sound
at all: It only mutes sound.) IMHO this is an undesirable overhead even
if resampling would be 3.5 times faster. I would have expected the top
one performance bottleneck for fgfs on low end hardware is in graphics,
not sound.

Greetings
    Olaf