On 8 Oct 2009, at 23:05, Scott Hamilton wrote:

>     I've also noticed that if I put a Altitude constraint (ie: @alt)
> the route manager always shows 0ft.
>     It seems to always get the altitude from the NAV database, not
> what I enter.

Altitude constraints are a mess - in the short term, they are best
avoided. Keep in mind the GPS code doesn't really do proper vertical
navigation - it computes some data like the altitude change and climb/
descent rate for a leg, but I'm not sure if any real aircraft is
driving the VNAV mode of an autopilot from it.

It's definitely something I will look at, but it's tied up with some
other features. At some point I want to support GPS precision
approaches and then obviously all the VNAV logic will need to be
properly cleaned up - right now it's been copied mostly unchanged from
the original gps code.

As always, user stories are good - what do you expect the behaviour to
be from the route-manager? Just to track valid altitudes? For the
autopilot VNAV to follow the altitude profile exactly? Something in
between?

This is also tied up with accurate enroute time calculations and
calculating top-of-climb / top-of-descent information, it's quite a
mess to unpick.