On 10/24/2009 05:30 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Heiko Schulz <aeitsch...@yahoo.de
> <mailto:aeitsch...@yahoo.de>> wrote:
>
>     Why has a such a serious project like FGFS no real support from
>     lawyer in such things like Flight Pro Sim?

> Neither of these options has happened which is why we don't have quick
> access to real lawyer support when these discussions come up.  We have
> tried to contact FSF lawyers in the past, but again, without dropping a
> big bag of money on the table, all we've gotten is a very cursory look
> and a very generic opinion (which amounted to something like we haven't
> come close enough to the threshold to raise any of their alarm bells.)

And that is a pretty fair statement of recent FlightGear ripoffs: they're
sleazy, they probably violate copyrights on screenshots, but no one really
knows whether they live up to their GPL obligations or not and in any case,
they're very small beer. It shows a certain measure of success that people are
ripping us off, such as it is.

I'm very inclined to back out the commit in question. It won't prevent real
ripoff artists -- who wouldn't be violating any license if they removed the
code themselves -- and it is very much against the hacker ethic to insert
code that does nothing except annoy. However, I don't want to start a commit
war.

Tim