Hey gang.
I've just started putting together some visual aids in understanding what
happens in a scenery build process. That's well and good, but I'm having an
issue with terrafit. I've recently discovered that my understanding of how
terrafit works is wrong. I'd always assumed it took a grid of elevations,
calculated "planes of best fit", using the max error threshold, then adjusted
all the heights in the grid. It turns out that it actually leaves the heights
unchanged, but deletes any that aren't deemed significant. I've been reading
through terrafit.cc, but I can't figure out anything about what it does to
determine significance.

Could anyone explain to me how terragear uses the error threshold to determine
what the list of points to be included is?

The very beginnings of my site for this have been slapped together (like, 20
minutes ago), so what's there is VERY MUCH still being written, expanded, and
edited. But you can get an idea of what I'm trying to do at
www.cullam.com/flightgear.htm. If you have Google Sketchup, you can actually
see the 3D models I've built, as some of the pictures aren't very useful in two
dimensions. My models of terrafit's process are obviously wrong, as I made them
to model my understanding at the time. But if somebody can better explain it to
me, I'll do more accurate models. With any luck, this guide will eventually be
useful for people who want to get into the scenery game.
-cullam

Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8.
Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at
http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/