On 8 Apr 2010, at 03:06, Peter Brown wrote:

> Perhaps this has been brought up before, but I see that the ILS "beam" data
> for each airport on the mpmap is derived from the runway alignment (as
> verified in taxidraw).  This doesn't allow for magnetic deviation, and
> therefore all the course headings are incorrect.  Makes it tough to line up
> with the ILS, unless you pull info from an outside source (airnav,
> flightaware, etc) for each arrival airport.
>
> Example at KBTV, runway 15 -
> mpmap ILS course 130.92 degrees
> Flightaware ILS approach plate, 146 degrees.
>
> KJFK, runway 31L -
> mpmap ILS course; 301 degrees
> Flightaware ILS approach plate; 315 degrees.
>
> I have not looked at the 850 airport format, but is there a way in any of the
> apt.dat or nav data to specify ILS approach data accurately?  Or is this a
> question for Pigeon, to see about using a different data list?  Currently the
> heading data is misleading - it would be better to not have it shown than
> have it incorrect in my opinion.

I didn't even know MPMap had this feature, but the problem is *not* the data in
apt.dat or nav.dat - the localizers (excluding installations with an offset
localizer, like the old Kai-Tek approach) are aligned with the true runway
centreline, and don't know anything about the published or magnetic runway
heading.

I guess (having just written similar code for the Map dialog ILS display) that
the issue is with a numerical heading value displayed for the ILS, on the MPMap
- which as you should probably should account for magnetic variation - but I'm
pretty sure this has to be fixed in the mpmap code.

All of the above is with the caveat that I didn't know this feature existed in
MPMap - it's also not what I would recommend to shoot an ILS - I mean, you'd
*never* fly an ILS approach without the correct plate to hand, right? Right? :)

Regards,
James