On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Anders Gidenstam wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>
>> With this in mind I have used the Stuart's rating system and coded the status
>> line of the p51d-jsbsim-set.xml file with the following:
>>
>> <status>FDM: 5, Systems: 4, Model: 3, Cockpit: 3</status>
>
> Hi,
>
> If we go down this route (I'm not convinced this need to be encoded in the
> models rather than stored separately for the web page) can we at least
> use XML properly? Please.
>
> Maybe something in this direction?
>
> <status>
>  <FDM type="int">5</FDM>
>  <systems type="int">4</systems>
>  <model type="int">3</model>
>  <cockpit type="int">3</cockpit>
> </status>

To ensure backwards compatibility with the current download page and
allow a textual description
of status, I think it would be better to have the rating in a
different tag. How about

<status>early production</status>
<rating>
  <FDM type="int">5</FDM>
  <systems type="int">4</systems>
  <model type="int">3</model>
  <cockpit type="int">3</cockpit>
</rating>

I really like Hal's idea of using the rating system to provide a
guideline for the status tag. That
would allow us to move towards a consistent status tag over time,
while maintaining an element
of backwards compatibility.

I suggest the following:

18 or higher = advanced production (minimum 4 in each rating)
16 to 17 = production (minimum 4 in each rating)
12 to 15 = early production (minimum 3 in each rating)
9 to 11 = beta (minimum 2 in each rating)
7 to 9 = alpha
less than 7 = not rated

I think it's important to have minimum standards, so that the status
description provides
a fairly accurate representation of the overall quality.

Martin - does this address your concern?

If people are generally in favour, I'll write the rating system up on
the wiki and make an
announcement on the forum.

I'm also in favour of the v2.2.0 version number. Assuming this is
agreed, I'll update The
Manual.

-Stuart