On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Gijs de Rooy wrote:
> (Why) do we need two buttons to close a dialog? I recently removed the ones
> that say "Close" on most
> dialogs, replacing them with small buttons in the top right corner. There
> are quite some dialogs that don't
> have a "normal" close button (like Route manager, Aircraft help, Common
> keys, Property Browser). I
> personally very much prefer those.

You are an expert user, who already knows that the unlabeled box in the top
right corner is a button, and what it does. Don't over-estimate the computing
knowledge of a new user - they have none of that knowledge, and simply
won't know how to dismiss the dialog.

Remember - the FG Plib-based FG UI is going to be quite alien to them,
as it's not
got the same look and feel to the window systems they might be used to. They
aren't going to guess that the object in to the top right corner is a
button that acts
like the X button in the top right of their Windows box, assuming that they even
use that.

Putting this another way, I'm not aware of any other GUI targetted at
non-expert
users (i.e. people specifically trained to use that software) that
does not provide
a clearly labeled button (OK/Cancel/Close) to dismiss every single
dialog box within
the UI.

Frankly, if I'd been aware that you'd removed all the Close buttons,
I'd have complained
very loudly. I consider that to be a serious usability regression.

The reason I've left the top-right button in place is partly for
consistency with some of the
expert and long-lifed dialogs, and partly so that the top of the
dialog box looks like
a title bar, with the title of the dialog, the small close button, and
a horizontal line.

> The "Close" buttons just take up space
> and block my view on the
> instruments and environment even more...

The dialogs I have added it to are ones which a user will use and then dismiss.
I have not added it to dialogs such as the MP Pilot List and Stopwatch, nor do I
intend to add it to expert dialogs such as the Property Browser. What other
dialogs do you leave open for prolonged periods while flying?

IMO, much worse is cluttering up a new users display with dialogs that
they cannot
dismiss! :)

> We should teach our users to use the small button in topright corner, else
> they will have a problem in those
> dialogs that only have such small button. Besides that, less buttons make
> things look easier, something that
> FlightGear lacks accordint to a lot of users.

How would you "teach" our new users? They don't read our documentation.
We cannot "teach" our users to use a small unlabeled button in the top
right corner.

There simply has to be a clearly labeled button to close the dialog, which
is what I'm attempting to ensure it present on all dialogs.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Gary Neely wrote:
> I'd like to back Gijs up here. I've worked in usability studies, and
> these things make a difference in the user's experience. Minimizing
> clicking and placing buttons in consistent locations makes for a
> considerably more pleasant experience.

I've also worked on usability studies. One consistent result from them is
not to over-estimate the competance of the average user. The change
I've made has
improved consistency and usability by ensuring that there are clearly
labeled buttons
to dismiss the dialog on (almost) all the dialogs.

I think I've covered all the XML dialogs. In my next pass, I'll go
through and modify
the C- and Nasal generated ones, with the exception of the dialogs
that are clearly
intended to remain active for a long time (pilot list, stopwatch), and
dialogs targeted
specifically at expert users, like the Property Browser.

-Stuart