Happy new year everyone !

On 30 Dec 2010, at 23:19, ThorstenB wrote:

> I still vote for keeping the original menu ordering in the "Equipment"
>>
> menu for the upcomming release, otherwise we have another
> incompatibility - and a very unnecessary one. It's very simple to
> avoid this issue for this release (keep fuel&payload/radio/autopilot
> menu items in original position).
> And it may still affect more planes (those not in GIT).

Sorry but I disagree on this. The menu re-ordering took place quite some time
ago and is unrelated to the recent work I did and is something that aircraft
maintainers should have already dealt with.

IMO the menu reordering represents a significant usability improvement and is
something we want to encourage. Furthermore backing it out will also require
changes to the manual, so isn't quite as straightforward as it might seem at
first.

I think the number of affected theses aircraft is sufficiently small that they
can be updated to fix this. Aircraft maintainers have always had to keep up
with changes in the core code (e.g. The ambient material change) and this is no
different except that it has only been noticed fairly late in the release
cycle.

Aircraft outside of the shears repository are not restricted to our release
cycle and can be updated after the release as and when their maintainers notice
this issue. I suspect that a number are waiting for the release to test their
aircraft anyway.

Adding symbolic names along with some helper functions for disabling them in
Nasal/gui.nas is pretty easy.  I'm happy to take on writing the code etc.
Probably not today though!

I think a more fruitful direction would be to look at why the F14 has a
separate dialog and how we can integrate that function in a generic way with
the core UI. I suspect that will require some generic payload support which
some might disagree with, but given the number of military aircraft with
payloads we now have, it may be time to introduce such function.

Stuart