Hi Pete,

Currently, TerraGear is mostly being redeveloped in order to handle more
detailed scenery - recent advances in "FlightGear scenery data technology" have
made this necessary. I think this is a lot of GIS C++ work - I am primarily a
data contributor. So please note anything you do should be compatible with this
roadmap - other than that, I think there's just a TerraGear wish list, but
those actually programming can correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say feel free to work on uv-mapping and brainstorm on the idea of
"transition polygons". However, I am working on some quite detailed scenery at
the moment and can say when scenery data is at about 30m precision "transition
polygons" become difficult to manage. The problem with vector-only data is it
doesn't allow for the "fuzzy pixels" you see in remotely sensed imagery, which
allow - somewhat - for realistic transitions - everything is hard-edged. Some
sort of automated seam blending would be really cool, but I think this is hard
to do...

As far as updating apt.dat goes, we've done a "fork" of 8.10 and have quite a
number of updated airports sitting on the mapserver somewhere. Curved taxiways
would be brilliant but because of both distribution and performance limitations
the problem is inserting "curved" polygons as cheaply as possible when it comes
to polygon counts. A somewhat dated but interesting primer can be found here:
http://custom-scenery.org/Research-Deve.274.0.html (make sure to click on the
sub-links on the left).

Have fun and welcome

Cheers