What I always do is keep the master (next in FG's case) completely in
sync with upstream's master branch. For local modifications I always
use another branch. That way, pulling and pushing always works as
you'd expect. Merging is easy and cheap with git, i love that!

PS, I'm not really a git expert, but this works for me...

Stefan