On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my next git question (possibly another dumb one) :-)
>
> When I did a git pull in simgear/flightgear this morning I saw something
> like the following:
>
> simgear$ git pull
> remote: Counting objects: 1, done.
> remote: Total 1 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
> Unpacking objects: 100% (1/1), done.
> From gitorious.org:fg/simgear
>  * [new branch]      releases/2.2.0 -> origin/releases/2.2.0
>  * [new tag]         2.2.0-rc1  -> 2.2.0-rc1
> Already up-to-date.
>

> Ok, cool I think, it looks like the 2.2.0 release branch has been created.
>
> But my question is how can I switch to this new branch?  When I list my
> branches I see:
>
> simgear$ git branch
>   maint
> * next
>

> The new branch is not listed.  Does this branch only exist on the server?
>  What do I have to do to see the branch locally?  Do I have to manually copy
> any remote branch that I want to work with locally?  What's the git thought
> process and reasoning here?  How would a person typically know that a new
> remote branch got created and be able to access it?  Why doesn't the new
> branch automatically show up in my list of branches?
>
> You can see the remote branches with git "branch -r" or "git branch -a".
You can create a local version of a remote branch with "git branch
releases-2.2.0 origin/releases-2.2.0"or "git checkout -b releases-2.2.0
origin/releases-2.2.0". Git doesn't create a local branch automatically. I
don't know all the reasons, but it would not be clear what to call the local
branch, especially if there are multiple remote repositories with identical
branch names.

Tim