I am tired to say again and again same things in
http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9680

So I conclude all I had said in short proposition here.

1) Ask users to vote their beloved planes, maybe on main page.
2) Make some expert reviews rating system instead of self rating, maybe
on base of current Stuarts proposition.
3) Make it simply to user to see really objective parameters of crafts
with some explanations. Craft with bigger directory is better in most of
cases. Craft with bigger .nas and .xml files commonly have better
systems. Craft with bigger fdm .xml file commonly have better fdm. Craft
with bigger .ac files commonly have better model.  Craft with
bigger .png files commonly have better textures. Craft what often used
in multiplayer is better for user than used rarely. And it is really
objective things no one can argue with.
4) Unite all three on one search page so user could easily find what
craft is better suit him.
5) Make links not on downloads directly but on wiki pages of crafts
where user can finally check if that crafts is what he looking for.

I pretty confident about current proposal argumentation and already had
said a lot things about it. To shorten it I add next few words.

No matter how rating system seems to be objective. When only one author
decides how his model is good then he decides how it fit himself while
we need to know how it will fit users.

I never had heard of some place where selfrate system had last long.
That system  is part of _communism_ actually in which people decides
themselves how good they did their job. But proposers had forget about
another part of communism, endless resources witch allows everyone to
really do everything he or she thinks right. We do not have it
currently.

So I can not tell to You how concretely that proposed selfrate system
will not work, but I am sure it will not. Millions of people had tested
it in my country already. It was failed. Many people made attempts to
realize it in other places. It was failed. I am sure what somehow it
will fail with tens of authors and hundreds of users of FG too. But You
may try. Maybe I am wrong and FG community is unique.

With best regards,
        Slavutinsky Victor