On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:56:15 +0800, Harry wrote in message
<AANLkTi=8thXo9cAkqJVTO3VugLv58rye=Tb1V6f=v...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Thanks gents,
>
> Bearing in mind I only want these installations to run FG and
> supporting apps.
>
> I had a look at ssd prices today, maybe its time for a rethink. seems
> there a a lot of small 32g 2.5" sata ones for around the 70usd mark.
> Infact there are even cheaper ones but they seem to be a lot slower
> in access times. USB thumb sticks are not so much cheaper for similar
> sizes
>
> For that kind of money a small sata ssd is maybe a more sensible
> aproach than trying to load a ramdisk?  Just normal distro sata
> install but all of hard disk issues are done away with.
>
> I am having a play with LTSP, and have downloaded Knoppix, and now am
> having a look at the re mastering information, it looks good. I will
> take some time to learn a bit and play with it.
> I did not consider live boot cds before, I did not see the potential
> in what I passed off as a demo gimmic.

..a coupla years ago, it _was_ a gimmick. ;o)

> But it might be the way to go
> if used in a stick. I can use the PXE to work around these weird
> Kingston 8g sticks I have that wont boot.

..if you like Knoppix re-mastering, you will _love_ playing
with the Debian Live builder tools, which IMHO makes Knoppix
obsolete.

..I have no experience with LTSP, but this _sounds_ like a
Right Way, it and PXE etc support apps can easily be put on
a Debian Live SSD "usb stick" to throw around automagic Wow
shows, ala "Can I try boot that laptop to the left off this
usb stick to see if it can run FlightGear properly, you know
with flyable framerates?". ;o)

..some mall shops have these nice big walls with dozens
of TV etc screens, running GPL firmware... ;o)

> Cheers.Harry

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: