On 22.03.2011 23:54, Tim Moore wrote:
>> 5, maybe worst: osg plugins which load 3d models seem to load textures
>> >  directly and store them... somewhere. So no caching, if two models use
>> >  the same texture it gets always loaded, no matter what.
> This should not be true in general; the images should be cached and
> the texture objects should be too, unless some parameter is animated
> so the texture can not be shared. Now, I notice that cacheing is
> turned off for a class of models that includes AI models and may
> include models created through Nasal
> (simgear/scene/model/SGPagedLOD.hxx, line 53); I don't know what the
> rationale is for that and that may be the cause of the current
> problems.

The particular line disabling the OSG cache has been there from the very
first commit (3 years ago to the day). So there is a chance, it was
never really considered - or there was an issue with OSG library itself
at the time. On my machine it seems ok to enable the cache - everything
looks normal with FG.
Maybe someone could do some tests when changing the setting
(SGPagedLOD.hxx:56) from "CACHE_NONE" to "CACHE_IMAGES" or even to
"CACHE_ALL" (then recompile/install sg+fg). Would be interesting to know
how this changed loading times, run-time fps and memory consumption.
Just make very sure to use a well controlled environment for any
performance tests (especially no live weather...).

cheers,
Thorsten