Unfortunately introducing real world AI is not only awkward from the
maintainability with different sources point of view. Its best kept as
separate from FG as possible in my view.

It clashes with scheduled AI aircraft, in that they can appear twice and
cant do as good a job in the sim environment as the existing scheduled AI,
in that the updates are to slow and must be interpolated to generate a
smooth stream, and more so the coverage is not complete.

Here the ADSB is 50 feet up the mast and only 7KM from the airport but still
only gets reliable signal for aircraft at about 100 feet above the runway.
The AIS receiver has the same problem in that when following the main route
through the straits here ships are lost for a while when passing behind an
island.

I share my AIS and ADSB data with aishub and adsbhub and in return receive
all data they collect, I see the same problems in EU data, EHAM for instance
is the same as here in Bali, aeroplanes drop off the stream once they are on
final into Schipol and just "appear" shortly after take off. I did see a
project using aishub data to feed one of the MSFS variants, so i guess they
would allow us to use it in the same way. I know as long as I feed my of air
stream I am free to do what ever i want with the data aishub send me.

In short it sounds great but it gets rather messy and complex very quickly.
And there can be a lot of data to sort and filter out only what raw data is
needing to be processed before display.

Previously Durk mentioned in a post (18 months ago maybe) his thoughts of
running the AI as a separate process, from this I had a tinker with the
multiplayer code. In my case the master machine does not generate the window
views. I found by adding a routine to echo the data received from the MP
server to the slaves, It worked fine, one data stream to the MP server, only
one instance on the MP server from me, and MP aircraft all appeared on the
slaves.

Recently I decided to go further with the ADSB data based on the MP server
code by Oliver to do the job but have put it aside as it compiles on my old
Suse 11.1 machine but not the new Ubuntu 10.4 installations. A picky new
complier i think but I don't understand it well enough to sort it out.

Now I am not a programmer of any kind and thus really cant assist those who
are, I cant offer comment on HLA  and how to implement things,  I would only
put forward that if the AI is merely socketed to slave machines, those who
want to do more, can do their own thing with an external process using the
socket IO. Or preferably work in together and produce a FG util to do the
job. The external process would be the place to sift the combined data, then
apply HLA or similar to generate just those targets required to feed to FG.

I think, from the FG coding perspective, no more than options along the
lines of  generate AI to socket only, generate and display AI and display
external AI from socket, is more than adequate for multi pc display setups
and feeding in external sources without any hacking.

I don't know enough about the options but would the existing multiplayer
format be the one to use?

Harry

Regards Harry