Stuart

> > Thanks for addressing the points that were hammered out over on the IRC
> > channel. I think the modified system could work. Just a few points
> remain:
> >
> > There is no penalty for including systems, such as an AP, where none
> existed
> > on the original.
>
> There's not an explicit penalty. but I think Hal has addressed this in
> the notes
> for the System criteria:
>
> "Ignore systems not present on the aircraft IRL. If the real aircraft
> doesn't have
> a system (e.g. autopilot), the FG model shouldn't have either and if
> all systems
> in the real aircraft are modeled then it scores a 5 even if it is a
> very simple aircraft. "
>
> I'm not sure how much of a problem this is.  If someone chooses not to
> disable the
> generic autopilot for a vintage aircraft, it will have no effect on
> pilots who choose
> to fly realistically (they simply won't use it). If the system is
> exposed in the cockpit,
> then it is covered by the rating for accuracy of cockpit - a KAP140 in
> the Sopwith
> Camel would obviously not be worth a 4 or 5 cockpit rating.

That is correct - but it doesn't follow from the criteria quoted above.

> I don't think it's unreasonable for vintage aircraft to have access to
> a radio, for
> example. A modern pilot flying a vintage aircraft would carry a hand-held.

Yes - it depends on whether we are modeling the original, or a currently
flying example. I've never quite made up my mind on that one.

> > The use of shaders etc. may or may not enhance the realism of the model
> and
> > in some cases could be used inappropriately. This is a subjective
> > assessment, and perhaps could be removed from the points system.
> >
> > Livery support is not necessarily an enhancement - it is not appropriate
> for
> > all models.
>
> We're talking here about the difference between a 4 or 5 External
> Model rating, where
> we're trying to differentiate between a good external model and one that
> is as
> realistic as possible.
>
> I think we should differentiate between them if possible, but I'm
> struggling to think
> up some objective criteria. Photo-realistic? model resolution of 5cm?
>
> Perhaps we end up providing subjective criteria, or some additional
> guidance
> in this case?

I think guidance - livery shouldn't be a criterion for realism, but it might
form part of it. Realism is the goal.

> > I'm not clear if you are awarding points for underwing stores and the
> like.
>
> Hadn't thought about that at all. I've added it to the criteria for a
> "4" rating.
>
> > We have additional features such as co-pilot/RIO over MP, Wingmen,
> Formation
> > Control, Tutorials, Aircraft Specific Help, Contrails, Vapour Trails,
> and
> > there are probably some I missed.
>
> Contrails & Vapour trails should probably be covered by the external
> model, I think.
> I could add them (along with tyre smoke) as criteria for a Model 5 rating?

Yes - tyre smoke is a generic facility - there is no reason for it not being
added to a model.

> I don't have a good answer for the other items. Some are nice-to-haves
> that enrich
> the simulation experience but don't impact simulation of flight
> itself, but others
> (such as a co-pilot) are more important for multi-crew aircraft.

Call them all "advanced features". That could be a/the criterion for
"advanced production"

> > And finally - the points system could award a high status to a poor
> model -
> > there are no points awarded for the accuracy or the fidelity of the 3d
> > model. E.G there is at least one model with afterburners modelled where
> none
> > existed.
>
> I've updated the external model to include the world "Accurate" for
> ratings 3-5.

Good

> Of course, we're trusting that aircraft developers are going to apply the
> rating
> criteria accurately to the best of their ability.

Yes - I think perhaps a bit of spot-checking to keep us all honest?

> > Oh and, finally finally - the model with the highest score might be so
> good
> > that the framerate means that it can only be used on high-end systems or
> > away from detailed airports. This limitation should be noted somewhere.
>
> I don't have a good answer to that. Does that become criteria for a "5" in
> External Model? I think this ends up back as something subjective.

I think we need some form of bench-mark - perhaps the default model at KSFO
with certain (all?) features enabled. The aircraft to be rated scores a %
framerate above or below this norm? Thinking aloud here a bit. Perhaps
that's a bit too fancy.

> > Let's hope that this tool can help to bring some order out of the
> current
> > chaos.
>
> We can but try. Certainly this seems to have a bit more momentum behind it
> than previous attempts, based on the feedback here and on IRC.
>
> If enough people rate their aircraft and we can use it to provide a better
> download page for the upcoming release, it will succeed.

Let's hope - some aircraft developers have an awful lot of aircraft to rate.

Vivian