On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM, ThorstenB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the final GUI bits for a new feature are now in fgdata - the last
> feature addition for the 2.4 release from my part... You can
> download/update scenery directly from FlightGear now (main menu:
> Environment => Scenery). Credit for the idea goes to James - bugs are
> mine ;-).

Great work guys. I really, really, like this feature.

>From a completely new user perspective, this is almost perfect.

The problem is that /sim/terrasync/scenery-dir isn't set by default,
so a new user has to
A) Set FG_SCENERY to something "sensible", in the correct order
B) Find some way to set up /sim/terrasync/scenery-dir
C) Use the fine GUI we've just created.

Of course, A and B can be well handled by launchers, but it would be
fantastic if there was no dependency.

I _think_ we default $FG_SCENERY to $FG_HOME/Scenery. Could we default it to
$FG_HOME/TerraSync:$FG_HOME/Scenery, and then set
/sim/terrasync/scenery-dir=$FG_HOME/TerraSync?

(Note that this would mean scenery-dir supporting $FG_HOME)

That way a completely new user without any launcher would be able to
use this fine feature straight out of the box.

It would also allow me to vastly simplify the instructions for
downloading scenery in the manual.

-Stuart