Hi All,

Thanks to the miserable weather in North Western Europe, and due to the fact
that we are at the beginning of a new release cycle, I managed to fix the last
remaining issues of my current AI/ATC work. Although the current code is still
a little rough, I believe that it shouldn't interfere with normal flightgear
activities if you don't use it. The new code allows the user aircraft to
interact with the AI traffic system. Currently, I have included support for
requesting startup permission, as well as push-back and taxi clearance issues.
I hope that I'm able, in the next 6 months, to fine tune and expand the current
system. As an example of what is currently possible, you should be able to run
the following sequence:

Start FlightGear using the following command line
fgfs --aircraft=747-400 --parkpos=G5 --airport=EHAM

(In the following, I am using the call sign "PH-DRK", the exact interactions
may vary depending on time of day, aircraft, etc etc). The the AI system
currently uses a few defaults that assume you want to do an IFR flight from
your current airport to your current airport).

Press the apostrophe (') key. This will bring up the ATC Communication dialog
box.

Press the "v" key to switch to external views.

Press the select the second entry on the dialog menu (by clicking it, or
pressing the "2" key). This will toggle a graphical representation of the
ground network routes, as they are currently programmed. You can activate or
deactivate this ground network visibility to your own liking, but since EHAM
has a relatively poor correspondence between the layout of the ground network
and the current underlying terrain, we leave it on for now. ATC expects you to
follow the ground network rather closely.

Okay, we're ready to go: Press the first option "1 PH-DRK Ready to Start up".
This is just a pre-announcement. No further action is required. Once the
message is processed, the contents of the ATC Dialog will be cleared.

Next: Request permission for start-up: select the message: "Schiphol-ground,
This is PH-DRK. Position G5. Information delta. IFR to Schiphol. Request
start-up".

ATC will respond by giving you startup clearance. Acknowledge your startup
permission by selecting the message: "Schiphol-Ground. Startup-approved. delta
correct, runway 24, Spijkerboor departure, squawk 4126. For push-back and taxi
clearance call 121.80. PH-DRK".

Now,  set the transponder to 4126, and set the standby comm frequency to 121.8,
and execute the startup procedure.

Sign off from the startup procedure controller by selecting the message:
"Switching to Schiphol-ground at 121.8.

Switch com1 selected frequency to 121.8 by switching active and standby
frequencies.

Announce your position to the controller by selecting message "Schiphol-ground:
PH-DRK, with you".

(the ground controller will acknowledge your request by saying "Roger")

Request push back clearance: Select "Schiphol-ground. Request push-back.
PH-DRK".

(usually the ground controller wil acknowlegde your request: "PH-DRK, push-back
approved, Schiphol-ground")

select the pushback vehicle: (Menu -> Boeing 747-400 -> pushback") and execute
a push back. For better visual reference, use an external view.  Steer the
aircraft as closely as possible to the end of the push-back route. Once you get
near, a new message will be selectable from the ATC Dialog, to announce you're
ready for taxiing. Disconnect the push-back truck and announce you're ready to
taxi. Select the "Schiphol-ground. Ready to Taxi. PH-DRK" message.

(ATC will give you taxi clearance). Acknowledge clearance by selecting the
Message "Schiphol-ground. Cleared to Taxi. PH-DRK.".

Follow the indicated taxi route: If you have enabled the groundnetwork
visualization: Just followed the red orange taper lines.

If you are lucky (on unlucky, depending on your point of view), there will be
other traffic you need to interact with. Watch out for ATC "Hold position"
instructions (NOTE that the latter possibly doesn't work with 100% reliability
yet).

Please let me know if you run into any major issues. I tried catching the most
obvious errors, but it's impossible to for see all possible contingencies. I'll
try to fix any major issues as soon as possible.

cheers, and enjoy,
Durk