I don't know why it's crashing, but I've done tests with +600 objects all in a
very small area and sometimes there is a slight delay as FlightGear loads a new
view as all the objects load. Not a lag, but you look out the window and
suddenly an object appears.

If the scenery is crashing, then I believe there's probably something wrong
with an object somewhere.

Cheers
John