Hi Adam,

It took me a while, but I finally got a chance to take a look at this,
thanks!  I can see that I probably want to do it totally different, but I
like quite a bit about your approach and how you track the points you draw
so you can remove them cleanly.

For myself, I'd like to draw the route manager route, rather than data from
an external csv file.  I'm also playing around with circle holds about a
fixed point so it would be interesting to draw the center reference point
surrounded by the desired path.  But I have a starting point now I can
fiddle with.

Thanks again!

Curt.

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. wrote:
>
> > Is there any easy way to show a prior route in Flightgear?  In other
> words, if I have a set of recorded GPS points (lat,long, alt) in a text file
> can I display them in 3-D space, as I am flying in flightgear?  Ideally I
> would like points (some box or sphere icon?) connected with line segments.
> > There are three different approaches that occur to me, so I figured I
> would check if anyone has done anything like this, and see if anyone can
> offer any guidance.
> > 1)  It is probably possible to generate some custom scenery that has my
> desired path as custom made objects.  But this seems like it is likely the
> most difficult approach?
> >
> > 2)  It seems likely that it could be done with nasal, but I have really
> not done any nasal coding.  One approach might be to hard code a bunch of
> objects, representing points, in the right locations into a nasal file.
>  This is not very flexible, as each nasal script would be for a given single
> path.
> >
> > 3)  Finally, what seems most general would be to write some code in nasal
> that can read in a csv file, and then to display objects in those locations.
>  Is this feasible?  Can nasal import a csv file or other general file format
> that could contain points?
> >
> > If any of you have any existing code, or suggestions, I would love to
> hear it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --Adam
> >

> I wrote some NASAL to accomplish this, and I thought that I would pass it
> back to the group, as there was some interest (Curt....), and I don't have
> commit access.
>
> To use this, put show_points.nas into data/Nasal.
> The 4 geometry files go into data/Models/geometry
> and finally data is read from a csv file put in fg-aircraft.  I included a
> little sample file to show a few points.
> To turn this on do:
> --prop:/sim/rendering/LLpoints=1 (or change this in flight to turn it on an
> off)
> You can change the interpolated points, between the actual points, by
> doing:  --prop:/sim/rendering/LLpointsInterp=50.  By default there is
> effectively no interpolation, only the actual points are displayed.  A value
> of 50 will put a point every 50 meters, in a straight line between the
> existing points.
> Finally, you can change the data file name (although not the path) with
> --prop:/sim/rendering/LLfile=latlong.csv (although this is the default
> value).  The sample lat/long file will put a few points around SFO, just for
> demo purposes.
>
> I hope that this is helpful.

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/