On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Martin Spott wrote:

> Curtis Olson wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any good ideas?
>
> Yes, revert the dissection of 'fgdata' until a practical solution is in
> place which doesn't require lots of people to waste extra time just to
> achieve the previous state which simply works for them.
>
> Spending some thoughts on how to compensate the drawbacks of a split
> repository wouldn't be bad either.

We certainly are discovering that git is not the perfectly elegant solution
for every situation.  Splitting the repository certainly has it's own set of
issues and challenges and in the end do we still end up with the exact same
challenges as when we started along with some new ones we add?

I'm willing to be frustrated in the short term and run with the decisions of
some of our trusted developers, but I sure hope we have at least a few
people who are willing to scramble here right now and help us work through
these issues and also help document the new process for new people just
arriving.  We can't depend on (or force) everyone to get a phd in git to
participate in the project and forcing people to run scripts or install a
scripting language is also a huge addition of complexity to our once
relatively simple system.

I'm not looking forward to downloading another 8Gb of aircraft repositories
spread across 350 clones, but I'll do it since that's the direction we are
going, but will a super module buy us much over the situation we just came
from?  Will we still have one huge download?  Now we have an 8Gb download
instead of a 9Gb download? Or we have to manually do all the individual
aircraft, or we require everyone install python and learn how to launch
scripts (and edit paths, etc.)

Are we advancing the ball here?  And if we are, let's make sure we don't
drop the ball or cough it up with a bad pass (depending on what sports
analogy you prefer.)

Trying to be patient!!!  I know this stuff takes time.  It helps to be
patient if I know someone is addressing these concerns and we'll have a
reasonable solution in a timely manner.  It just stresses me out to get
caught in limbo.  I am not a git-guru, and I can script, but I don't have
time right now to spend 3 days on what used to be a single command I could
copy/paste into my terminal.

Thanks!

Curt.
--