On Sunday 06 November 2011 21:08:22 Jacob Burbach wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Robert <dogg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I hope that all you guys involved in the dds transition use
> > "nvidia-texture-tools" because:
> > 1. It is Free/OpenSource and platform independent
> > 2. The compression quality is much higher than with the dds-plugin for
> > GIMP
> However, and correct me if I'm wrong, the nvidia tools do not let you
> use pre-defined mip maps do they? I prefer the nvidia tools if for no
> other reason than they are command line and I can easily script and
> automate batch jobs. But if you do need pre defined mip maps I don't
> believe you have a choice except the gimp plugin..on linux anyway.
>
> cheers

There is the version of nvidia's dds utilities that can be found here
http://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/tools/files/DDS_Utilities_8.31.1127.1645.exe
that can be installed under wine. stitch exe from that package allows you to
use custom mipmaps. That's how I've created the forest and grass textures.
I've converted each of the mipmaps with nvcompress (with the -nomips option),
then I've used stitch.exe to put them together.

I've found the gimp plugin to be very unreliable.