As stated in Docs/README.xmlsound ,
The volume calculation due to distance and orientation of the
        sounds source ONLY work on mono samples!
I imagine that hasn't change over the years , and a stereo sound
originating from a point in 3d space
doesn't make much sense anyway . More care just needs to be taken when
adding new sounds.
I'm going through the Sounds directory right now to covert the the
stereo samples to mono ,
and I'll commit if no one objects , since I'm seeing the same messages now.
Cheers