Hmm. As far as I know, METAR snow information only focuses on the
runway surface. Imagine a nice sunny day in late march, where the
runway is just dry asphalt, yet there can be lots of snow in the
ground. On the other hand, if the runway surface has snow, we can
pretty safely assume it exists on the landscape as well. But missing
snowtam does not mean there is no snow in the landscape..!

//Tuomas