That's the main reason of why I prefer shadow volumes, they are much
more efficient in big scenes. Cascaded shadow maps can make a lot here,
I would try implementing them before going into more issues.

But still looks awesome, I think it is time for helijah to remove all
his aircrafts' shadows. ;)

Cheers.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011