> > Techniques (with their predicate) are tested in
> > ascending order of their index (the "n" attribute), so you can
> > create a new technique with a lower index than the one for the
> > current technique and add a predicate that test (for example)
> > /sim/rendering/lightfield.
>
> Thanks Frederic - this seems to be (sort of) working.
>
> I can only get it to work properly if I throw the new technique at
> index 7 (or lower) though. Otherwise all terrain types which have a special
> shader do not accept lightfield shading even if that special shader is off,
> and only by dragging down the index to 7 does this problem go away. No
> wonder I couldn't make it work before...

Techniques are tested in ascending index order. The first technique with
a predicate that succeed is used for the effect. If you want your technique
be the first tested, you have to use the lowest number possible. But
beware, there is an inheritance scheme (with the keyword <inherits-from>)
where, for example, the urban effect inherits from the terrain-default
effect. If terrain-default use 10 and 11 for technique index, urban has to
use 9 at most. And someone can create an effect that inherits from the
urban effect. It would have to use an index lower than the one used by
the urban effect. If you use 0, you leave no room for inheritance.

Regards,
-Fred