Am 10.04.2012 21:08, schrieb Martin Spott:
> And there's still one thing to consider: Having one central set of
> apt./nav.dat files in the Base Package still doesn't address the trend
> of the FlightGear project and Scenery development proceeding
> asynchronously.

But to be honest, it neither works with central terrasync scenery. We
could never push any updates (such as introducing terrasync scenery with
the new EDDF runway) without immediately breaking consistency with all
previously released FG versions (= their base packages). And we cannot
expect all users to run the same FG version - or to even update their FG
setups (base packages) on the same day. A bunch of Linux distros still
haven't switched to FG 2.6.0...

Since we somehow "hard-code" navigation data into the generated scenery
tiles, it really makes sense to couple them closely.

Terrasync already syncs a global "/Models" directory, so terrasync
scenery can use newer or updated models. We could do the same for nav
data. I'd be happy to extend terrasync to sync another global directory,
i.e. "/Nav" (or "/Nav810", "/Nav850") and then extend FG to consider
these directories first, before defaulting to (old) nav/airport/airway
data from the base package - which then would only need to match the
(old) base package scenery (i.e. before the users pulls terrasync data
for the first time).

This would avoid consistency issues, unless the nav data format itself
changes - like it will with the 810/850 change. But this seems a less
frequent event - hopefully not happening every 3 months or every year.

It wouldn't help with any individual, regional scenery projects though:
these could still rely on different, conflicting versions of nav data -
and we can only load one version into FG. But we probably don't need to
(nor could, maybe neither should ;-) ) address this anyway...

cheers,
Thorsten