On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Emilian Huminiuc wrote:
> Besides being totally off topic, you can't do that direct comparison.

I don't think it's off-topic.  The parameters I've used for generating random
buildings are somewhat a guess based on the densly populated regions of
the UK

> First
> off, our default scenery lacks a lot of detail in the urban area boundaries in
> that area thus marking a far larger area as being urban -> a far larger area
> on which to generate buildings;  second,  the generated random buildings are a
> mixed set of residential and comercial/office buildings, so the math is a bit
> off there.

This is all parameterizable and controlled from the materials.xml file.  One can
easily change materials.xml to generate more commercial/office
buildings if that's
the right way forward.

At the moment, we generate mainly office/commercial/apartment blocks for Urban,
and lower office blocks and houses in Suburban/Town.

>> Here's the catch:
>>
>> That's just assuming that the number of households per house is really 1 -
>> but I think this assumption doesn't hold in dense urban areas, you can
>> easily have 10 parties living in a larger building (even while I was living
>> in Durham, NC we had 14 households in one building - and Durham NC had
>> plenty of space to spare). Assuming for the sake of the argument that we
>> might have on average 5 households per building in a dense urban area,
>> we'd be overestimating the actual population by a factor 4.5.
>>
>> => use less, but somewhat larger buildings.
>
> Actualy the Geater LA + Inland Empire area should use more somewhat small
> buildings, as the overwhelming majority of the residential buildings in that
> area are individual houses, all the way  E to San Bernardino.

So, are these areas defined as Urban, or Suburban/Town in our global scenery?

-Stuart