I wrote:

> Thorsten
>

> > > I have tested using only the test tile so far. The time spent in
> > > events is dramatically reduced to around 70ms vice 210ms. There
> > > remains some odd cyclical frames coming in, but the results are
> > > broadly in line with Basic Weather.
> >
> > Okay, that's good news. I'll continue working along these lines then,
> although
> > I expect that the rest is just cleanup work which will not gain that
> > much performance any more.
> >
> > The biggest issue is that in this version the movement of the Cirrus
> clouds is
> > broken, and under some (somewhat unusual) conditions that would show
> > (since tiles themselves still move, there'd be a pileup of clouds in a
> given
> > location in strong winds if the aircraft doesn't move much). But it
> > seems
> the
> > quadtree code to move them is simply too heavy - either a lighter
> > scheme
> is
> > needed, or some other solution.
> >
> > What's the prospect of adding hard-coded movement to models loaded
> > from Nasal? AI models defined on startup can have a heading and an
> > airspeed and these can even be changed at runtime - just models loaded
> > from Nasal at runtime don't seem to have that feature, and so they
> > require per frame position updates from Nasal.
> >

> Looks doable - but then everything does until the difficulties become
> apparent :-) I'm just doing a little experimentation here now on that.

Done. Could do with some more refinement, but it works. If you input
speed-kt, then position updates are ignored and positions are calculated
from input speed and pitch. Here are the patches:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/0001-SG%20Make-Models-move-with-heading-and
-speed.patch
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/0001-FG-Make-models-move-with-heading-and-s
peed.patch
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/0002-FG-Calculate-horizontal-and-vertical-s
peeds.patch

Next, I'm going to allow input of vertical and horizontal speeds (fps) as
well.

Seems to have very little impact on framerate, but it involves a for loop
(and you know how much I like those), so there are limits.

Tested on Win7 and Linux

Vivian