Stuart,

> ...There is a significant memory footprint, but this appears to be only
> an issue when using building densities >1.

> At present our default is for random vegetation and random objects to
> be switched on, both of which also have fps and memory impacts.

> I'd therefore like to suggest that we enable the random buildings by
> default as well.

> Does anyone have any objections, or want to second the proposal?

Your work does really look great, especially at areas like San Fran, LA and
other big cities. It improves really much the graphics!
Framerates are better than expected, and it shows some eyecandy like
"reflecting" windows.
So I would agree to enabling it per default if, well if the memory foot print
would be lower.

Today I made a simple flight from KLAX to KSFO with the 777-200ER with scenery
downloaded from TerraSync (TerraSync itself disabled), skydome-shader enabled,
random buildings enabled (density =1), trees enabled (density =1), fair weather
without (!) 3d-clouds and default materials.xml.

After just mid distance I got the first error messages and the buildings went
black. Coming again to city area everytime a tile had to be loaded the sim
freezed for several seconds.

I have 4GB RAM; and my GPU (Nvidea GTX640) has about 1 GB VRAM.

I must admit I expected a better behavior.
What I noticed, different to the trees, the distance of loading random building
increases together with the visibility while the trees has a limited range.

Would be something possible as well for random buildings? And if so, would it
help in this issue?

Heiko

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html