> A number of effects files use .dds textures, leading to error messages
> on the console.
>
> IIRC in the last release, we suppressed these error messages for the
> release, and I think we need
> to do something for for 2.8.0 as well.
>
> Of particular concern is terrain-default.eff which uses
> Textures.high/Terrain/snow3.dds.

Some of the 2d Cirrus and Cirrocumulus models used by  Advanced Weather also
still refer to dds textures created by Vivian - these would also trigger
warnings. I left them in since for me it's the same, some people reported
better performance and I wasn't sure what the policy on dds textures now is.

In case we want to remove those, the corresponding *.ac files have to be
changed. Is there an opinion on that question either way?

In any case, I would suppress the warnings for the release, as they seem to
lead to a lot of confusion (see forum) and many people seem to attribute the
dds warnings to any problems they're experiencing.

Ultimately, I would perhaps prefer a solution where dds is only used when the
user expresses an intention to do so, i.e. 3).

* Thorsten