On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM, James Turner <zakal...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2012, at 07:22, Tim Moore wrote:
>
>> We could use the stencil buffer without copying anything: render the
>> near scene first, setting stencil bits, then enable the stencil test
>> for the far scene. I believe that the stencil test has been extremely
>> fast for years.
>
> Oooh, yes - I was forgetting the cameras are rendering to the same buffers.
>
> That seems like some low-hanging fruit indeed!

The problem with this approach just became all too clear as I was
checking out the PAF dc-3 (wow wow wow!): transparency. It can't
handle transparent objects in the near scene -- e.g., the windshield
-- without using either alpha bits in the frame buffer or doing a
third pass for near transparent objects. Historically we have avoided
frame buffer alpha as being exotic and /or slow; I don't know if we
want to move in that direction.

Tim