On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net> wrote:
> James Turner wrote:
>
>> Or to put it another way - the actual hard part is running the
>> widgets in the main OpenGL window - which *is* a requirement for
>> full-screen apps and multi-monitor setups.  (Some people have claimed
>> otherwise, but I believe we need the option of 'in-window' UI for
>> many cases).
>
> I object - at last I can't envision a case where running the UI inside
> a separate window in front of a (full-screen) viewer is inferior to an
> in-window UI.  All supported window systems provide the required
> information on screen/window-geometry or -placement to position a
> separate UI-window wherever you like.

One avoids OpenGL rendering to more than one window if possible
because graphics context switches are "expensive." I have no idea if
this would affect normal FG usage.

Portions of the OpenGL window buffer that are obscured by other
windows are not guaranteed to be rendered correctly or at all, and in
most implementations are not. This is less of an issue in newer OpenGL
versions that support frame buffer objects and can do multi-pass
rendering in an off screen buffer.
> For the die-hards just think of a menu bar positioned in front of the
> upper left corner of the viewer-screen or -window having just very thin
> borders.  From my perspective that's a pretty appealing approach
> because running the UI outside the viewer and probably/hopefully
> outside the main program could lead to a consistent management-/
> control-interface in FlightGear.
A system menu bar is a slightly different. By definition it is not
obscuring the main rendering window, and it is not updated unless the
user interacts with it. It might be possible to simulate the same
thing in FG with a menu bar in a separate window, but it would be very
complicated to manage updating those windows differently from the main
simulation window.

I agree that separate user interface windows would be nice in several
interesting use cases, but I don't think the default single-screen
case is one of them.

Tim