>> No objections but an idea: how about adding a little randomness to the
>> cloud cover and visibility?
>
> Good idea, but I'm not surely exactly how to go about it while retaining
> some element of determinism. I'm worried about multi-computer systems,
> or two users at the same airport in the MP environment.  It would be nice
> if they have as similar an environment from the same METAR as possible.
>
> One option might be to use a seed based on the METAR timestamp, but
> that makes this time-dependant.
>
> An alternative might be to use the airport code in the METAR, but then we'll
> get some airports that never get really clear CAVOK conditions.

You are right, randomness doesnt seem to be a good idea. Just another
w-i-p thought: determin the cloud coverage from pressure and
temperature/dewpoint. Low pressure and warm temperature result in more
clouds than high pressure and very cold temperatures.
Having 1030hPa at -10degC will most likely have clear skies and 1020hPa
at +25degC is probably a nice SCT060 CU sailplane day.

Torsten