> Yves wrote:
> Just for my understanding, does this still mean when you start in La Paz and
> you have no snow in metar the snow-level is set to 3000 meters by default? Or
> is there no snow at all?

Snow will be at 3200 m. This is not realistic for La Paz [1], but it is a good
global average.

The default snow line is the same all around the globr. But we can relate the
snow line altitude to the latitude. Using the formula that is described at
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Snow (or a simpler derivative), we would get an
estimation of 5785 m.

Currently this formula is not used, but it would make the default behaviour a
tad more realistic. The code should only be run once when FlightGear is
launched, so we won't overwrite the snow line during run-time.

Gijs

[1] In real life the climatic snow line (above which snow and ice cover the
ground throughout the year) is at
roughly 5500-6000 m around La Paz. The actual value varies per year.