Hi Thorsten,

On 07 Nov 2012, at 10:55, Renk Thorsten wrote:

> Sorry, I don't want to talk down on the great job you guys are doing in
> presenting all this, I'm just trying to understand what it is you consider an
> eye-catcher. I'm just a bit mystified that somehow a feature which dominated
> our screenshot contest  doesn't count in this department...

No worries. :-). This is actually fairly subjective, and I'm afraid that I
didn't explain my concern too well in my initial post. The real issue is
salience, which you can describe as the subjective property of a percept to
stand out from it's environment (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salience_(neuroscience) ). So, a cool feature that
easily dominates in a screenshot contest may not be able to capture our
attention very effectively in a different context, such as the one at
FSWeekend, where visitors are usually bombarded with high quality graphics.

So, what I was actually looking for was new ways of *using* FlightGear, within
the limitations of an internet-free environment. Our lan based multiplayer
server was very effiective in the past, and in the last few years we also had
some new aircraft and/or a specific theme, or even an internet connection, all
of which served as great eye-catchers. This year was a bit of a step back in
those respects, so I found myself more often than not reverting back to the
tested and tried.

> Well, yes and no - even if we're just catching up in graphics to what others
> do (which in many cases we probably do, judging by screenshot googling),
> isn't the fact that a scene no longer looks like 10 years behind what others
> do somehow relevant? It might not act so much as catch attention than to
> prevent immediate turn-aways...

Of course it is, and in many cases it does keep visitors attention a bit
longer, usually because they don't know what they're exactly looking at. :-)

Cheers,
Durk