> You need to do High Dynamic Range rendering to accurately capture these
> differences and the eye's ability to adapt to them. Basically, you do all
> the rendering in floating point and at the end convert the values to RGB
> colors with a mapping operator. We don't do that yet.

I'm currently rendering scenes illuminated between 10.000 lux and 0.1 lux (i.e.
a range of 100.000 in luminous flux) just fine without High Dynamic Range. I'm
entirely happy with the visual impression of light reduction under overcast
skies or with self-shading of fog.  The trick is that I do the log before
rendering, High Dynamic Range does it after rendering. I can do so, because my
scene is dominated by a single light source which is either sun or moon, so I
never need to compare the strength of different light sources. I'm not happy
with high light intensity situations like looking directly into the sun, but
that's because I haven't done it, not that I couldn't do it - I have the scheme
worked out, but since I don't know when I'm looking into the sun, I can't
implement it.

We're not trying to solve the general problem, so we don't need the general
solution to get the job done. We just need a particular solution for a
particular job which covers 99% of the situations you can encounter in flight,
and that happens to be way cheaper. Also, note that High Dynamic Range isn't
accurate either - beyond Weber Fechner, the details of light perception happen
to be really messy and once we are in simulating the details of the visual
cortex, adding higher accuracy doesn't really help you :-)

* Thorsten